Third Annual Feature Film Screenwriting Competition
Sponsored By Thomson Reuters and
Minneapolis Community and Technical College Cinema Division
Screenwriters’ Workshop, a Minnesota non-profit organization dedicated to offering opportunities for professional excellence and recognition in the industry, is proud to announce its Third Annual Feature Film Screenwriting Competition, sponsored by Thomson Reuters Corporation and the Minneapolis Community and Technical College Cinema Division. The competition is designed to showcase screenwriting talent, create new screenplays and promote Minnesota and its many cultural aspects. Professional out-of-state judges will evaluate the scripts presented by Screenwriters’ Workshop members, student members, and new members, offering cash prizes and –for the winning entry– a reading by a Hollywood Producer, Manager, Agent, or Screenwriter.
- Previously entered scripts may be resubmitted with the exception of any script that has previously won first prize in this contest–specifically, those winning scripts by L. Matthews and K. Frank are not eligible. Since first prize winners must “wait out” 2 years before entering new scripts, L. Matthews may participate in 2015 and K. Frank in 2016.
- The Screenwriters’ Workshop Screenwriting Competition is open to any individual who is 18 years of age or older at the date of entry, and resides in Minnesota or Pierce and St Croix Counties of Wisconsin.
- Board Members of the Screenwriters’ Workshop are not eligible nor are competition judges and their immediate families.
- Screenplays must be “Uniquely Minnesota.” This year’s contestants are asked to focus on MINNESOTA PLUS:
- MINNESOTA PLUS Minnesota’s lakes and/or
- MINNESOTA PLUS Minnesota’s variety of seasons and /or
- MINNESOTA PLUS Minnesotans’ reputation for being nice/not so nice.
- Submissions must be the original work of the entrant(s).
- Collaborative work by up to two writers is eligible. Each collaborator’s name must be added during the application process.
- Screenwriters’ Workshop members (must be a member on date of submission) – $50 for each screenplay up to a maximum of two.
- Screenwriting students – $25 for each screenplay up to a maximum of two.
- Required page length range is 90 pages minimum to 120 pages maximum. SCREENPLAYS OVER 120 PAGES OR UNDER 90 PAGES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
- Screenplay must use Courier 12pt. with standard screenplay spacing and margins.
- No illustrations or photographs on the inside of pages or the cover of the screenplay.
- Screenplays must be written in English.
Entrants Must Submit:
- A completed application form. Please provide only one address if collaborating with another writer.
- One PDF of an original feature-length narrative film screenplay.
- The entrant’s name, address, phone number or any other identifying information should not appear on the title page or any other page of the screenplay.
- A single entry fee per screenplay entry, paid via PayPal or check. Entry fees will not be returned or adjusted.
- Only one copy, draft or version of any screenplay may be submitted by entrant(s). Under no circumstances will substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered screenplay(s) be allowed. An entrant may submit a MAXIMUM of two screenplays to the competition.
- Screenwriting Students must provide proof of their student status and transcript of screenwriting course undertaken.
- Submissions for the 2014 competition must be received by the Screenwriters’ Workshop and entrance fee paid no later than 11:59 p.m. January 31, 2014. Submitted screenplays will not be returned.
- PDFs should be e-mailed with a completed application to mnscreenwritersworkshop (AT) gmail (DOT) com.
- If you are unable to send all the attachments in a single e-mail, you may send two separate e-mails. Please do not send zip files.
- A panel of out-of-state judges will select a slate of finalists. A second panel of professional screenwriters/producers will select the winning screenplay, first runner up and second runner up — all to be announced in Spring 2014.
- The writer(s) of the winning screenplay will receive $1000 and the same version of this screenplay will be read by a Hollywood Producer, Manager, Agent, or Screenwriter. Winner agrees to media availability and publicity. (NOTE: This winning screenplay, to be delivered to Hollywood personnel for comment, must be the exact version that won the contest and not a rewrite; however, a rewritten version can be used later when the script is read by actors at a public performance.)
- The winning screenplay will receive an official public reading, sponsored by Screenwriters’ Workshop, at The Twin Cities Film Fest in October at MCTC.
- The runner up will receive $250.
- The second runner up will receive $100.
Acknowledge the Terms & Conditions:
By entering, I (we) attest:
- To the accuracy of the information supplied in this application.
- That the material submitted is my (our) sole and original work.
- To my (our) agreement to hold the Screenwriters’ Workshop harmless from, and defend them against, all claims, demands, losses, costs, damages, judgments, liabilities and expenses (including attorney’s fees) arising out of or in connection with any stories submitted to the Screenwriters’ Workshop competition or on any screenplay developed out of such stories.
- That the Screenwriters’ Workshop may retain the material submitted for use in connection with its Screenwriters’ Workshop deliberations, and thereafter for its archival collection of educational materials and for use on its website, as to which use I (we) expressly waive compensation.
- That the burden of obtaining copyright or otherwise protecting any proprietary interests in the material, if I (we) wish to do so, rests entirely with me (us).
- That providing false or misleading information on this application, or failing in any other way to comply with the rules of the competition, will subject me (us) to disqualification, forfeiture of prize money and/or other penalties.