Don’t Miss Gene Tsao’s 2nd Sunday Script Reading Tonight
Tonight’s 2nd Sunday Script Reading will be of an episode of his made for TV script for Europol: Urban Operations, Season 1, Episode 8, “Sicily.” The series is about a happily married mother of two who leads a group of young paramilitary agents to catch spies, corrupt ministers, terrorism financiers, and leaders of organized crime all over the EU. Join us for an action-packed evening.
Congratulations to Our “For Love or Money” Short Script Contest Winners
With the pandemic afoot, it has taken the board awhile to announce the winners of the “For Love or Money” Short Script Contest. After all, the prize was a public reading of the script at a theater, and nobody wants a bonus prize of COVID-19. Rather than wait around, the group decided to offer the winners an online reading with hired actors but kick in a $25 bonus, because, well, online just isn’t the same as live. Since this was our first “reverse fee contest,” all who submitted a script will receive $5 as our fee to you for your writing efforts.
(Drum roll!) The winners are (in no particular order):
- “The Finder of Lost Things” by John Gigrich
- “The Day the Box Arrived” by Daniel Polsfuss
- “Albert Wants a Shirt” by Tiffa Foster
- “The Road Home” by KT Perleberg
- “Caveat Emptor” by Kelly Lamphear-Dash
Still Time for Our Charlie Chaplin Short Script Challenge
If you haven’t started your short script for the Charlie Chaplin Challenge, there’s still time! These scripts are due on August 15th at midnight. Please follow the rules of our contest as outlined on the website (10 page, 4 character maximum, must be a member of SWW, etc…), writing a short film with no more than ten lines of dialogue. Scripts must be received no later than midnight on August 15th, and scripts will be read and voted on online on Sunday, August 30th at 6:30 PM. Happy writing!
Stay tuned to the newsletter for details on our next short script challenge for Halloween.
New Pilot Program in Fall—The Wednesday Writing Workout
Need a little extra push to get through hump day? On Wednesday, September 23rd from 8:00-9:30 PM, Screenwriters’ Workshop will host an online workshop offering simple, fun writing exercises to keep you going and stretch your skills. Unlike a script group, you don’t have to share what you wrote, but you can discuss how it might affect your future work. Since it may involve breakout rooms, you will need to sign-up in advance. A free will offering is encouraged. 2020 McKnight Fellow in Media Arts Karen Frank will host the first session. Stay tuned for further details and sign-up.
Mini Calendar Through the End of 2020
In addition to Saturday Script Groups, Sunday Script Group, and 2nd Sunday Script Readings, see below for a list of SWW events through the end of the year:
- Sunday, August 15th—Charlie Chaplin Challenge Deadline at midnights
- Sunday, August 30th—Reading and voting on Charlie Chaplin short script winners, 6:30 PM
- Wednesday, September 23rd—”Wednesday Workouts” pilot 8:00-9:30 PM
- Friday, October 9th—Five “For Love or Money” Script winners reading online
- Thursday, October 15th—Halloween Short Script Challenge DEADLINE
- Saturday, October 17th—SWW Board Meeting Online, 3 :00 PM
- October 25th—Halloween Short Script Challenge Reading, 6:30 PM
- Week of November 16-21st—Annual Meeting, specific date dependent on speaker availability
- December—regular events only
Except for the Saturday morning script group, all online events are available at:
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 533 859 616:
Call in: +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Keep working on your script. It’s the wright thing to do!