Super Second Sunday and Short Script Mini-Challenges Through the Year
We’ve loaded up the calendar for the rest of the year to get you thinking ahead. Mark your calendar for a full year of screenwriting.
Rebel Against Valentine’s Day! Join Us on February 14th at 6:30 PM for a Fabulous Second Sunday Master Class Reading
There’s a pandemic going on and, let’s face it, Valentine’s Day spreads germs. Join our Second Sunday table reading instead which will explore Alvin Easter’s virtuoso screenplay Czechoslovakia. It’s a feature script about the lone survivor of a notorious, terminally ill serial killer who takes him on a road trip with the promise of revealing the buried bodies of his many victims. Not for the faint of heart, this master work grips its readers from page one. See below for link to session.
Have a Stuck Script? Let Us Help You Set It Free.
We’ve all been there, right around the second act, and the script… just… won’t… go…. If you have one of those scripts that is a good idea but just won’t write itself, please let us know. We will be offering occasional space at Second Sunday to think through those bigger plot puzzles. Shoot us an email with a name and description of the script, number of pages written, and concerns that are keeping you stuck. We will work it into the lineup as availability permits. Note: Complete screenplays receive first priority.
Congratulations to Our Procrastination Short Script Challenge Winner in January
The results are in for our Procrastination Short Script Challenge. Charlton Metcalf was the runner up with his script Let’s All Go Out to Eat, and Jeff Holman won the challenge with his script Breaking Up Is Hard to Do. He wins an SWW t-shirt or $20 and will compete with our other challenge winners for a juried award of $250 at the end of the year. Way to go Charlton and Jeff!
…And Here are the Rest of Our Mini-Challenges Through 2021!
If you missed the January mini-challenge, there are more opportunities to come. In addition to following the general rules of our short script contest, each entry must follow the parameters by the deadlines below:
- March 15th—The “5 Senses Mini-Challenge,” where the script must evoke each of the five senses.
- June 15th—“A Stitch in Time Mini-Challenge” in which the entry must have time jumps, either flash backs or a flash forward.
- September 15th –The “Twisting Tropes Mini-Challenge” that requires writers to write against (contrary to) a common movie troupe. In your entry, you must identify which trope you are writing against. Here are some, and there are many more if you just google.
- November 15th—“Medium Inspiration Mini-Challenge” in which you can write a script inspired by another medium—specifically, the famous works of art Nighthawks by Edward Hopper, The Thinker by August Rodin, or The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gough.
Voting for each of these will be done in a public, online reading according to the dates below. Winners of each mini-challenge will choose between a SWW t-shirt and $20. They will also be entered into the final juried award at the end of the year for a chance to win $250. Please do not submit your entry prior to the deadline of the previous contest. Members only are eligible to enter, but non-members may attend the public online reading and voting events.
Everyone is looking for that time when vaccinations are plentiful, and we can all roam free. Here at SWW we would love to get everyone together with an expo of the short films written by our members. If you have a short film produced and can get rights to have it shown, send us an email with a link for viewing. We’ll consider it for our showing… hopefully outside. In the summer or Fall? (Like we said, we’re dreamin’!)
Congratulations to Russ Meyer!
Longtime SWW member Russ Meyer has published his sci-fi thriller feature script A LITTLE FAVOR in both paperback and e-book at IndyPlanet. Illustrated by Minnesotan Hugh Bennewitz, the book is about a washed-out fighter pilot, now a wild west show fast-draw gunfighter, who is asked to do a little favor: use his quick reflexes to save the earth by flying to the sun, reaching in and plucking out 2 off-course, discarded doomsday bombs before 7 PM next Wednesday evening before they explode, nudging the sun, causing major global warming. Send Russ your congratulations—or, better yet, buy a copy of his book!
Extended Calendar Through 2021
In addition to Saturday Script Groups, Sunday Script Group, and 2nd Sunday Script Readings, see below for a list of SWW events through the end of January:
- February 14th—Second Sunday Featuring Script by Al Easter at 6:30 PM
- March 3rd—Wednesday Writers’ Workout on Subtext at 8:00 PM
- March 14th—Second Sunday (open at present) at 6:30 PM
- March 15th—5 Senses Mini-Challenge Deadline at Midnight
- March 28th—5 Senses Mini-Challenge Reading and Voting at 6:30 PM
- April 4th –Easter Sunday, No Script Group
- April 11th –Second Sunday at 6:30 PM
- May 5th—Wednesday Writers’ Workout on Writers’ Block at 8:00 PM
- May 9th –Mother’s Day, No Second Sunday
- June 13th –Second Sunday at 6:30 PM
- June 15th—A Stitch in Time Mini-Challenge Deadline at Midnight
- June 27th –A Stitch in Time Mini-Challenge Reading and Voting at 6:30 PM
- July 7th—Wednesday Writers’ Workout on Coming in Late, Leaving Early at 8:00 PM
- July 11th—Second Sunday at 6:30 PM
- August 8th –Second Sunday at 6:30 PM
- September 12th—Second Sunday at 6:30 PM
- September 15th –Twisting Tropes Mini-Challenge Deadline at Midnight
- September 26th—Twisting Tropes Mini-Challenge Reading and Voting at 6:30 PM
- October 10th –Second Sunday at 6:30 PM
- November 14th—Second Sunday at 6:30 PM
- November 15th –Medium Inspiration Mini-Challenge Deadline at Midnight
- November 28th—Medium Inspiration Mini-Challenge Reading and Voting at 6:30 PM
- December 12th –Second Sunday at 6:30 PM
Except for the Saturday morning script group, all online events are available at:
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 533 859 616:
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)